Affordable Housing Investment Opportunities in Zambia | Mbvoni
16848
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-16848,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-17.0,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.4.5,vc_responsive

Zambia

HOUSING IN ZAMBIA

Currently, Zambia’s housing stock stands at 2.5m units, which is split across rural and urban areas (64% and 36% respectively). Of the urban housing, 40% of it is estimated to be good quality, with the other 60% labelled ‘substandard’. 28.5% of the ‘good quality’ housing is detached single unit homes, and 20% of the ‘substandard’ properties are traditional homes, with 21.5% consisting of improved quality huts. There is a backlog of approximately 1,539,000 houses when it comes to urban housing, and by 2030 this figure is projected to reach 3.3 million. With the housing production rate peaking at 73,000 units a year, we can see that it is massively insufficient for the needs of the country.

According to CAHF, the cheapest newly-built house is available for US$65,000 for a 90m2 unit. Cement prices are lower than the continental average at US$5.3 per 50kg, and construction costs for NGO funded houses range from K8,000 (US$859) to K153,200 (US$16,455). For council housing, construction costs between US$1,000 and US$1,500, with monthly rent prices between US$100 and US$150.

WHY INVEST IN ZAMBIA?

  • While it may appear from the outside that there are a number of private developers operating in the affordable housing sector, these developers are not making a significant contribution to the already-large need for housing units in Zambia, with a build of less than 5,000 units. These developers are more focussed on high-end homes.
  • With the right investment and the correct strategy, affordable housing can be built in Zambia, which is of huge importance – the aforementioned deficit is enormous and will continue to grow if affordable housing schemes are not implemented.
  • Land is owned by the state and administered by local authorities and traditional leaders, with 99 year leaseholds available for developers. As of 2015, registering a property takes 45 days.

INVEST IN SOMETHING GREAT

Help Future Generations Today

Get in touch today and we will be more than happy to assist with any enquiry.